Guidelines are designed to support the decision-making processes in patient care . The content of a guideline is based on a systematic review of clinical evidence – the main source for evidence-based care.
Purposes of guidelines
- To describe appropriate care based on the best available scientific evidence and broad consensus;
- To reduce inappropriate variation in practice;
- To provide a more rational basis for referral;
- To provide a focus for continuing education;
- To promote efficient use of resources;
- To Act as focus for quality control, including audit;
- To highlight shortcomings of existing literature and suggest appropriate future research.