Title: Critical Appraisal of Clinical Trials
Date: Friday, August 25, 2017
Attendees: restricted to Faculty. Ain Shams University and Cairo University.
The workshop is FULLY subscribed
Venue: Marriott, Zamalek, Cairo, Egypt.
Supporter: Novartis Research Academy in collaboration with The Egyptian Center for Evidence Based Medicine
Chair: Prof. Ashraf Nabhan
- Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ain Shams University
- Director of the Egyptian Center for Evidence Based Medicine
- Co-chair of the HRP Alliance for Strengthening Research Capacity, WHO
- Associate Editor of Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth
Co-Chair: Dr. Marwah Anas El Wegoud
- Deputy Director of the Egyptian Center for Evidence Based Medicine
- Author and Referee at Cochrane Oral Health Group
The main educational aim of these programs is to offer a challenging, flexible scheme of study invigorated by research, which advances clinicians’ ability to develop academic and practical insights into the use of clinical trials. Clinicians will be encouraged to develop a range of transferable and subject specific expertise using their initiative and thinking out problems themselves.
This workshop will enable Faculty to evaluate the validity and make sense of RCTs. By the end of the workshop, attendees will:
- Understand why randomized controlled trials produce the most reliable evidence for questions about effectiveness
- Understand the important elements of trial design
- Have critically appraised a randomized controlled trial
This workshop has three sections:
- Presentation discussing critical reading
- Small group work (a published trial protocol and a published trial report)
- Feedback session where we discuss the findings of each group