This course takes a step-by-step approach to the tasks and methods involved in conducting a new systematic review to answer a question about the effects of an intervention. The course is designed for those with an understanding of clinical research but who are new to systematic reviews and those with some experience but who want to learn more. This course is also useful to those who need to evaluate the quality of systematic reviews, including, for example, anyone with responsibility for implementing systematic review findings. Given the purpose of the course and the audience it is designed for, it is necessary to strike a balance between the wide scope covered and the level of detail provided.
Signing in at 9 AM
The full-day course is composed of 8 workshops (45 minutes each).
Workshop 1 Setting the research question and eligibility criteria
Workshop 2 Searching for and selecting studies, collecting data
Workshop 3 Assessing risk of bias in included studies
Workshop 4 Data and Analysis
Workshop 5 Synthesizing the results
Workshop 6 Heterogeneity
Workshop 7 Subgroup analysis, Fixed effect and random effects models, sensitivity analysis, small study effect, unit of analysis issues
Workshop 8 Presenting results. Interpreting results and drawing conclusions
Put into practice: Assessing the methodological quality of protocols and full reviews
Signing out at 6:00 PM
Facilitators:Mentor: Prof. Ashraf Nabhan (Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth Group)
- Dr Hend El Sayed (Cochrane Oral Health Group)
- Dr. Marina Aziz (Cochrane Injuries Group)
- Dr. Marina Ihab (Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group)
- Dr Ranya Ahmed
- Dr. Mahetab Hany.
- Professional Development.
- Intensive Course.
- This full day training draws heavily on core principles of clinical trials, e.g. correct knowledge of different study designs, their susceptibility to bias in different domains, Types of data, …etc. The trainer will assume that participants understand these principles, alluding to them (but not describing them in detail) in the workshops. Therefore, participants without this knowledge are advised to complete a high quality training in designing, conducting, analyzing, and reporting clinical studies to be able to benefit from the course.
- Applications to attend the workshop can only be submitted online http://eepurl.com/4Y2xj
- Venue: Training and Education Enhancement Center, Ain Shams University Hospital, Cairo, Egypt
- Date: 4 December 2014 (9.00 AM to 5.30 PM)
|Registration opens||Sunday, October 05, 2014|
|Call for stipends application||Sunday, October 05, 2014|
|Registration closes||Saturday, November 01, 2014|
|Stipends Application Deadline||Saturday, November 01, 2014|
|Accepted delegates notified||Sunday, November 02, 2014|
|Stipend recipients notified||Sunday, November 02, 2014|
|Deadline for submission of workshop fee||Thursday, November 20, 2014|
|Deadline for cancelation and refund||Thursday, November 27, 2014|
|Scientific sessions||Thursday, December 04, 2014|
- A registration fee of 200 LE to cover the venue expenses and includes materials, a coffee break and certificate of attendance.
- Cancellation and Refunds Policy – If you cancel your registration prior to 27 November 2014, we will issue a full refund for your payment. No refunds after 27 November 2014. You may transfer your registration to another person without penalty provided you inform The organizers by 27 November 2014.
- Workshop Stipend: We have allocated a 10% of attendees to a FREE registration and another 10% to receive a reduced fee (Only 100 LE) stipend. Eligible candidates for the FREE or the reduced fee stipends must be undergraduate student or house officers in one of the governmental schools of Medicine, Dentistry or Pharmacy in Egypt. Those who are eligible and wish to be included in the selection process are required to complete the online application form (as a regular applications), and submit a hard copy of an official document from college (indicating your status as an undergraduate student or a house officer) to Prof. Ashraf Nabhan’s office in Ain Shams University Specialized Hospital, Building C, First floor, Gynecologic Surgery Unit. Successful stipend applicants will be notified by Sunday 2 November, 2014.